Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, wine connoisseur, or a mix of all three, Atlanta, Georgia has the perfect attractions for you! Travel to this iconic town in the Southeast for a trip filled with new sights and experiences that will be exciting for the whole family. Check out our list below to see which places near Atlanta are the best for you!
Museums & More
Atlanta is scattered with a variety of museums that are fun and educational for visitors for all ages. Here are a few of our favorites!
- Atlanta History Center: A high-ranking attraction on the list of places to visit near Atlanta, this museum is a history lover’s heaven! Home to historic houses, gardens, and parks, the Atlanta History Center offers countless programs, events, and exhibits. You can even view the Margaret Mitchell House, the birthplace of Gone with the Wind!
- Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: Take a journey back in time by tracing the timeline of Martin Luther King Jr. through fascinating exhibits that celebrate this hero’s life.
- Fernbank Science Center: Broaden your scientific knowledge through this expansive science center in Atlanta that contains an exhibit hall, planetarium, observatory, outdoor gardens, and a library.
- World of Coca-Cola: A well-known area attraction, this museum takes visitors on an interactive journey of the famous beverage by showing how it’s made and distributed. You can even explore the large tasting room and sample over 100 flavors of Coca-Cola from all over the world!
Georgia’s gorgeous Southern climate makes visiting outdoor destinations a must on your list of places to go, and there are multiple state parks and hiking trails in Atlanta for the avid nature-lover to enjoy.
- Sweetwater Creek State Park Trails: With close proximity to the city, these trails wind through whitewater, waterfalls, and historic Georgia ruins.
- Indian Seats Trail: Climb this trail up Sawnee Mountain for breathtaking summit views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Kennesaw Mountain Trail: History experts will appreciate this trail as it explores the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield and the battlefields of Pigeon Hill and Cheatham Hill.
- Vickery Creek Trail: This area is home to a towering waterfall and several small creeks and has access to the historic Roswell Mill.
- Iron Hill Loop Trail: Located at Red Top Mountain, this trail welcomes hikers and bikers alike and provides a view of the peaceful, glassy Lake Allatoona.
Farms and Wineries
Among the list of fantastic places to visit near Atlanta are many farms and wineries, and a day trip to any of them is the perfect way to relax and savor the mild North Georgia weather.
- Hillside Orchard: Kids will have a blast at this family-owned farm where they can pick their own apples, venture through Little Mitcham’s Gem Mine, visit the adorable barnyard animals, and ride a train or hayride around the farm.
- Jaemor Farms: Complete with a corn maze that’s fun for visitors of all ages, this farm uses their locally grown produce to make fresh bread, jam, jellies, and sauces that are all available for purchase in their country store.
- Three Sisters Vineyards and Winery: Standing out among the numerous Georgia vineyards is Three Sisters, which boasts an impressive collection of 10,000 premium wines. There, you can admire the panoramic view of the mountains, sample exquisite wines, and browse their collection of authentic folk art.
Stay at Glen-Ella Springs!
While discovering all of the wonderful places to visit near Atlanta, make Glen-Ella Springs Bed & Breakfast your homestead. Located in the charming town of Clarkesville, GA, our beautiful rooms provide total comfort and relaxation, and a delicious meal at our acclaimed on-site restaurant will refuel your spirit after a day full of adventures. Check our availability and plan your trip to Georgia today!
Photo Credit: f11photo | Thinkstock