The Soque River in Habersham County, Georgia, is a breathtaking and unique body of water that flows approximately 30 miles through private land before emptying into the Chattahoochee River. What was once a little-known secret, trophy trout fishing on the river has become a popular and beloved hobby among fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts who visit the area. Water temperatures on the upper Soque are ideal for supporting large numbers of trout, and land owners and local fishing businesses ensure that the river is re-stocked annually and the fish are well-fed to maintain their trophy size. Whether you’re an avid angler or have never cast a line, Soque River fly fishing is an exciting and fun way to spend an afternoon in the North Georgia Mountains!
Our Favorite Places For Soque River Fly Fishing
- Black Hawk Fly Fishing: Blackhawk offers private fishing along two miles of the Soque River. This stream is a haven for both trout and anglers alike, with strong runs of rapids, deep pools, and slow flowing lanes over sand and rock bottom. Over the years, this area has become an amazing fishery, with trout easily reaching proportions expected only of fish native to Alaska, Canada, Chile, and Argentina. Get ready to catch a big one!
- Brigadoon Lodge: The Brigadoon property encompasses an enormous bend in the Soque River and is completely surrounded by Chattahoochee National Forest. You can head out with a private guide to one of the 12 exclusive sections of the river where you’ll have breathtaking views in every direction. This area is especially beautiful in the spring when 300-year-old mountain laurels, azaleas, and rhododendron are in bloom, or when the leaves change colors in September, October and November.
- Fern Valley on the Soque: About four miles north of Clarkesville, GA, Fern Valley offers some of the Soque River’s best fly fishing experiences for all levels of anglers, from novice to expert. Both Rainbows and Browns are prevalent throughout the entire 1/2 mile stretch of river, and all sections of the river are wadable and productive.
- Riverside Trout Fishing: Located in historic Batesville, GA, Riverside Trout Fishing holds Georgia’s current state record for the largest Rainbow Trout and is a fisherman’s paradise. Guests can choose between a full or half day trip where a private guide will take you out on the water and show you where the big fish lay. Be sure to bring your camera!
- Unicoi Outfitters: Unicoi offers trophy trout fishing on several private streams managed for trophy trout. These streams provide fly anglers with the opportunity to fish for trout that are measured in pounds rather than inches. Many successful days on the water result from trips on their streams, including Nacooche Bend, Riverside on the Soque, and Noontootla Creek Farm.
End Your Excursion at Glen-Ella Springs!
After a wonderful day out on the river, head back our Clarkesville bed and breakfast and restore with a delicious, satisfying dinner at our onsite restaurant. You can end your night with a restful sleep in one of our comfortable rooms or suites, then wake up early and do it all over again tomorrow. We can’t wait to hear about what you catch!
Photo Credit: Andy_Bowlin | Thinkstock