Annual Events in and Near Helen, GA
Helen, Georgia, is a charming Bavarian-style town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This picturesque town is known for its beautiful scenery, outdoor activities, and annual events. From January to December, plenty of events keep visitors entertained throughout the year. Here’s a list of some of the most popular annual events in and near Helen, GA.
For more recommendations about things to see and do in the area, be sure to request access to our complimentary North Georgia Vacation Guide!
Top Annual Events in North Georgia
- Hogpen Hill Climb: Start the year off right by participating in the Hogpen Hill Climb one of the “toughest races in North America.”
- Fireside Arts & Craft Show: This indoor event takes place at the Unicoi State Park & Lodge Conference Center. Visitors can browse handmade crafts from local artisans.
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade: This parade takes place in downtown Helen and features floats, dancers, and bagpipers.
- Wine Highway Weekend: Visit the best wineries in North Georgia every month during Wine Highway Weekend.
- Bear on the Square Mountain Festival: This festival takes place in Dahlonega, about 30 minutes from Helen. Visitors can enjoy live music, arts and crafts vendors, and a juried art show.
- Georgia Mountain Storytelling Festival: This festival takes place at the Union County Schools Fine Arts Center in Blairsville. Visitors can listen to professional storytellers from around the country.
- Helen Trout Tournament: This tournament takes place on the Chattahoochee River in downtown Helen. Visitors can compete for prizes by catching tagged trout.
- Georgia Apple Blossom Festival: This festival takes place in nearby Ellijay. Visitors can enjoy arts and crafts vendors, live music, and apple-themed treats.
- Blairsville Scottish Festival & Highland Games: This festival takes place at Meeks Park in Blairsville. Visitors can watch traditional Scottish games like caber tossing and hammer throwing.
- Fourth of July Fireworks: The town of Helen puts on a fireworks display over the Chattahoochee River.
- Butternut Creek Festival: This festival takes place at Meeks Park in Blairsville. Visitors can browse handmade crafts from local artisans.
- Georgia Mountain Fair: This fair takes place at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds in nearby Hiawassee. Visitors can enjoy carnival rides, live music concerts, and agricultural exhibits.
- Oktoberfest: The biggest event of the year! Oktoberfest runs from mid-September through October 31st, with German food vendors serving up bratwursts and beer while visitors dance to polka music under large tents set up throughout town.
- Gold Rush Days Festival: This festival is held annually on the third weekend of October which includes parades,arts&crafts, food booths, and a gold panning contest.
- Christmas Market: This market is held annually during Thanksgiving weekend, where visitors get to experience Christmas shopping with unique gifts, decorations, and much more.
- Christmas Parade: This parade is held annually on the second Saturday of December, where visitors get to experience the holiday spirit with floats, bands, and Santa Claus.
Where to Stay for Events in North Georgia
These are just a few examples of annual events that take place throughout the year near Helen, GA. Many other festivals, such as Dahlonega Literary Festival or Blue Ridge Blues & BBQ Music Festival, take place within an hour’s drive from Helen.
Our historic inn is located in the heart of Clarkesville, right around the corner from all of the most exciting things to do in North Georgia. You’ll love our rustic-chic accommodations, premium amenities (like complimentary gourmet breakfast), and award-winning on-property restaurant. Whether you’re searching for free things to do in Georgia this weekend or flying in to experience our beautiful landscape, our family will ensure that you enjoy the Blue Ridge Mountains like never before!
Ready for an amazing event or two in North Georgia? Check our availability today and start looking forward to an unforgettable mountain retreat. We can’t wait to host you!