If you’re looking for a vacation spot with plenty of historic charm and natural beauty, why not spend a week in the mountains of North Georgia? There are so many things to do, local eateries to try, and natural wonders to explore. One of the most charming towns in this region is Sautee-Nacoochee, just a 15-minute drive from Clarkesville. We’ve compiled some of the best things to do in Sautee-Nacoochee, Georgia, so you don’t have to!
These things to do in Sautee-Nacoochee, Georgia, are just the beginning of what you’ll discover here. If you’re ready to discover more fun activities and attractions in the Blue Ridge Mountains, make sure you download our complimentary North Georgia Vacation Guide! Simply request access today and learn all of the locals’ best suggestions.
A Few of the Best Things to Do in Sautee-Nacoochee, Georgia
North Georgia is peppered with so many charming mountain towns, but Sautee-Nacoochee is one of our favorites. This unincorporated community is named after the Anglican pronunciations of “Sawate” and “Nokose,” two words that were commonly used in the Muscogee Creek Native American dialect. Today, it’s a hidden gem featuring plenty of off-the-beaten-path points of interest. Here are just a few of them!
- The Old Sautee Store: Like Glen-Ella Springs Inn, the Old Sautee Store dates back to the 1800s! Through the ages, this historic site has been a general store, post office, and, now, a museum. Be sure to pick up some fresh bread and vintage drinks from the Old Sautee Market!
- Anna Ruby Falls: This is one of the most popular waterfalls in the region, offering stunning views and an opportunity for hiking.
- Chattahoochee River: Whether you and yours prefer walking along the riverbank or getting wet on a tubing adventure, this river (one of four major rivers in North Georgia) has something for everyone.
- Unicoi State Park: One of the best state parks in North Georgia is Unicoi State Park, a perfect place to catch a glimpse of rolling hills and native wildlife.
- The Sautee-Nacoochee Center: This performing arts center is dedicated to preserving history and culture, as well as showcasing the local performing arts community. This entertainment hub hosts fun community events such as contra line dancing on the fourth Saturday of every month. Be sure to check out their calendar of events for more ideas.
- The “Romeo & Juliet” Indian Burial Site: This low-key site is more of a photo opportunity than an activity, but it’s an important Sautee-Nacoochee historical site nonetheless. Be sure to snap a photo of this gazebo-adorned mound surrounded by beautiful pasture.
Restaurants Near Sautee-Nachoochee
Hiking and sightseeing in Sautee-Nacoochee will inevitably build up your appetite! Whether you’re looking for lunch or want to wind down over dinner, there are several noteworthy restaurants in the area where you can wine and dine. Here are our favorites!
- Glen-Ella Springs Inn Restaurant: You’ll want to make the 15-minute drive to Clarkesville for exceptional lodging and award-winning food. We serve some of the best Southern cuisine in North Georgia! It’s best to make a reservation before arriving.
- Spice 55: For a truly unique Thai dining experience, reserve a table at Spice 55. Here, you’ll find some of the best fine Asian dining in North Georgia.
- Bigg Daddy’s Restaurant and Tavern: Though not actually in Sautee-Nacoochee, this no-frills sports pub in Helen offers live music, unfussy bar bites, and plenty of beer on tap.
Begin Your North Georgia Vacation at Glen-Ella Springs Inn!
There’s so much to do and see around Sautee-Nacoochee, Georgia. After a day of exploring, where should you put your feet up for the night? Glen-Ella Springs Inn, of course! Our historic, family-owned bed and breakfast — which is tucked away in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains — provides guests with comfortable accommodations, excellent amenities, and plenty of southern hospitality. Explore North Georgia’s many things to do, or simply spend time relaxing in our on-site gardens. You can even admire the stunning views from the comfort of your guest room or suite! We also provide a variety of specials and packages to help you make the most out of your stay.